Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kompozer Composes Web Sites!

If you read this blog a couple of days ago, you were given a link to my web site where my cartoon work is being syndicated by georgetoon.com.

I needed to get a web site up and running. I wanted to do so without having to boot into Windows and rely on MS FrontPage, Dreamweaver, or some other high priced software product.  Although these products are good, I'm always between computers at the office and here at the studio.  Windows and Linux at the office, and Linux here at the home studio (with Windows running on Virtualbox). I wanted to have some compatibility between the different operating systems.

I decided to use Kompozer.  Kompozer is a free open source web building software program available for Linux, Windows and Mac.

The Kompozer  web site states, "KompoZer is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing.  KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding."

Kompozer is easy to use and the best part...it costs nothing.  And I can work on my web site regardless of which OS I'm running.  All I need is the program and my files.  In fact, I can also edit and publish the web site online in real time. So, I don't even have to have the files with me.  I simply log on to the web site's host, open the pages in Kompozer, and start editng. 

Kompozer is fairly straight forward and there's a ton of information on the web to help you get started. There's also a very helpful Kompozer user forum where I found a terrific group of frinedly users. thee folks really gave me a great deal of help when I first started using the program.

As a result, Georgetoon.com was built and published to the web  in just a few hours.

Kompozer does have alot of power and control over your HTML pages. It also supports CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

Another nice touch is absolute positioning of blocks of text and images.  So, you can move web page elements around and build things in layers much like a desktop publishing program.

If you're looking for an alternative to all the high priced web building software programs, Kompozer will fit the bill. And because it's created and backed by the open source community, it's only going to get better.

Get Linux.

No comments: