Sunday, December 9, 2007

Desktop Linux On The Move!

There's a great opinion piece at DesktopLinux.com describing how Linux is poised to take over the low end desktop PC market. One sentence grabbed my attention. "Today, no one can argue with a straight face that people can't get their work done on Linux-powered PCs."

How True! As a cartoonist, I'm creating my comic strip and comic panel features using Linux. I scan artwork using Xsane, I edit the drawing using Gimp, I layout templates in Scribus and I handle all my web correspondence with my editors at DBR Media via the Firefox web browser. When Wine (or it's commercial counterpart, CrossOver Linux), is added, then folks can run popular Windows applications such as PhotoShop 6 or 7, DreamWeaver, Lotus Notes, Quickbooks, plus others.

Low end PCs are remarkably powerful when compared to what was on the market a short three to four years ago. They have fast processors, at least 512 megs of RAM, and plenty of hard drive space. What we think of as "Low End" is really quite powerful for the everyday user.

As the article points out, there is a revolution going on in the Desktop (and Laptop) PC market and it's called Linux.

Get Linux, or a Linux system, and be a part of this revolution.

No comments: