Friday, December 12, 2008

Yesterday, Browsers. Today, Operating Systems!

Yesterday, I mentioned Stat Counter, the stats package that runs on this blog.  It coounts the numberof visitors that come to OneClicLinux.com and then is able to graphically show a variety of general  information.

As their own site explains, "The idea behind a web tracker is very simple and has been around for many years. Essentially you place a small piece of code on your website, when someone visits your website, that small piece of code is executed and the visitor's public details (ip address, browser, operating system, referrer, page title and url etc) are analysed and stored for reporting to you later."

In short, Stat Counter is taking the general public information and presenting it in a way that can help bloggers respond better to their readers/visitors.

And I came across something that really made me sit up!
 
Take a look at the graph at left.  Of all the visitors we've had so far at OneClickLinux.com, Linux users and Windows XP users are running neck and neck!  39.45% are running Linux and 39.45% are running Windows XP.  Windows Vista users are a distant second. This tells me that, possibly, two things are happening:

1.)  Linux users (new and established) have found this blog and want information, tips, ticks, etc. to help/enhance their use of the operating system. Well, I'll make sure to respond.  I'll continue to write about Linux, its ease of use, terrific software, and helpful community. 

2.)  Windows users are visiting because they are possibly considering switching to Linux.  I can safely assume that they're looking for information on how to exactly to do this.  Well, I'll make sure to continue to post links to Wikis, forums, news, articles, and other information that will help those wanting to switch to Linux better able to make a smooth transition. I'll continue to write about my own experiences and those things,  major and minor, I come across that make Linux such a terrific OS.

So, my thanks to all who visit this blog!  I appreciate your patronage!  And if you run Linux, bravo!  If you WANT to run Linux, I want to help you get there.

Get Linux.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another reason for the xp usage may be like myself, using a company desktop during a break or lunch to catch up on the more informative blogs.

MSzorady said...

Agreed. the same situation for me. Which is why I love being in my home studio. I get to use Linux!

Anonymous said...

This explains Vista's failure. M$ wanted Vista to be the only option people have when they buy a computer, but no one wanted it. M$'s partners, like CompUSA and Circuit City, that did not do like HP and sell XP and GNU/Linux have gone out of business. This is why OEM's mindlessly recommend Vista over everything else, something people who know computers can never honestly do.

Anonymous said...

This explains Vista's failure. M$ wanted Vista to be the only option people have when they buy a computer, but no one wanted it. M$'s partners, like CompUSA and Circuit City, that did not do like HP and sell XP and GNU/Linux have gone out of business. This is why OEM's mindlessly recommend Vista over everything else, something people who know computers can never honestly do.