Tuesday, December 2, 2008

You're Never Too Old For Linux!

Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, Dick Clark, and I all share the same birthday on November 30th.  And this past November 30th was a milestone birthday for me!  I hit the big Five-OH!  Fifty!  At left is a birthday card my nephew Tommy drew for me.  It's a spot on caricature of me at work at my drawing table. (Check out the shirt.  Go Buckeyes!)

This 50th birthday made me realize that you're never too old to learn something new.  I was well into my forties when I first switched over to Linux. I've never regretted the move.  It was easy to make the switch and when I did run into a minor bump or two in the road, I had the help and support of the Linux community to help me through it.

Don't be afraid to make the move to Linux!  I know folks in all age groups who've switched to Linux!  In doing so, they've freed themselves of the malware, spyware, viruses, and Trojans that have plagued their Windows systems all these years.

The best way to start with Linux is to download it for free, burn it to disk, and install it on a Windows system that you no longer use.  Just know that during this installation, you'll be wiping Windows from the entire hard drive and putting Linux in its place.  Then, you'll be able to do your own side by side comparison.  You'll find that  you'll be using the Linux system more than the Windows system.

In addition, you'll be SAVING MONEY!  And how important is that nowadays?  You can download Linux for free, and when it's installed and running, never worry about Windows viruses and malware.  So, you won't have to shell out extra dollars for a Windows anti- virus/anti-spyware program.

Linux is stable, secure, and simply the better choice.


Get Linux. You're never to old to make the switch.

7 comments:

Stephen Martinez EA said...

I hit the big 5 0 five years ago. I started using ubuntu linux last year. Since I am in the tax business I need my Windows Desk top. So on my desk I have sitting my Linux laptop. I find myself using it more that the Windows Desktop. And, like you, when I run into bumps I find the solutions quickly via the Linux community.

Stephen

Anonymous said...

I'm with you - turned 50 on April 29. I converted the family PC to Linux (gentoo) about 4 years ago. There was some wailing and gnashing of teeth, but we hardly ever boot Windows now.

MSzorady said...

Guys,

Excellent to hear the transition to Linux has been a smooth one! Thanks so much for the supportive comments! It certainly validates the subject of today's blog!:)

Anonymous said...

I turned 68 this year and started using Mandrake in its second year of inception and have never looked backed. I've been building computers (hobbies t) all these years and can tell you that todays versions of Mandriva 2009 & Ubuntu 8.10 are a dream in every way possible. Nothing personal but,I just wish some of the other so called Linux computer wizard bloggers would quit whining so much about nothing, especially since they don't contribute anything to Linux except there negativity. Please excuse my little rant. :-)

Anonymous said...

I had never tried to install Linux until I was 60 years old. I've used Linux exclusively for 4 years now and helped a lot of younger people make the switch. Today, I have trouble working with a Windows system. I started with DOS 5.0 in 1991 and went through the MS game through Windows XP. I'd never go back!

Don Birdsall said...

I'm 66 and well past the big 50. I played with Linux distros for nearly 10 years but didn't make a switch until I bought a laptop with Vista. That simply had to go.

It took a little tinkering to get wireless working,but switching to Ubuntu was the best upgrade I ever made. I recommend it to all my senior citizen friends.

Don

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, all of you.

I started using Linux in my late sixties, when IBM refused to replace or reload a faulty OS/2 system floppy disk. I tried Windows 95 for a month or so, found it crap after OS/2, hunted for an alternative and discovered Linux. I haven't used anything else for about 12 years and Linux does everything I could possibly want.

I've used sidux since it first appeared a couple of years ago. It's easy to use and maintain and there's no stupid upgrade cycle - it's a modern "rolling release".

By the way, I turned 80 last April. Age is no barrier to using Linux!